Saturday, April 26, 2008

April Challenge - Cheesecake Pops




I love being a "Daring Baker"! I am getting to try something different and delicious each month. This month's challenge, cheesecake pops, involved baking the cheesecake in a hot water bath. My usual recipe, made with sweetened condensed milk, does not involve that particular step. The result was a very creamy, smooth cheesecake that wasn't too sweet. The next thing that was "different" was shaping the cheesecake into balls. I used an ice cream scoop, but it looked kind of rough and ragged. I recently read a recipe for a delicate dumpling that was shaped by placing the dough in a wine glass and rolling until shaped into a ball. (I can't find the recipe source but I'll add it when I find it.) So I grabbed some wine-type glasses, sprayed it with cooking spray and dropped a scoop of cheesecake into the glass and swirled. Perfect! After inserting the lollipop sticks and freezing, I dipped the pops in the melted candy chocolate and dipped them in crushed heath bars, mini-m&m's, and crushed graham crackers. I'm taking them to our church lunch tomorrow where I'm sure they will quickly disappear. (they were a hit!)






















Thanks Elle and Deborah for a fun challenge.

11 comments:

L Vanel said...

Beautiful pops! Great tips for a nice round cheesecake ball. I also thought the bain marie produced a smoother cake. I will definitely do that again.

Deborah said...

Great job on this challenge! They look wonderful!

Dolores said...

I'm going to be making these again at the end of May for a friend's party... I will most definitely employ your wine glass tip. Thanks for sharing!

Lunch Buckets said...

At first I thought "what on earth is she drinking???"! Excellent tip - sure wish I'd read the same thing - you know, earlier :)

Texana said...

Wow, who woulda thought to do that. Ingenius! Thanks for sharing that tip! Your pops look great!

Evie said...

Hi Vicky,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.


Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 3 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget, a tag cloud widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the widgets for your blog.

thx-Saikat

PS: If you have multiple blogs, the widgets can help you in a traffic exchange as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I wanted to write a note to you, but since I couldn't find your email, leaving a comment.We at Wowzio have build some useful widgets, like slideshow widget, activity widget and more. For your blog, these can be seen at
http://www.wowzio.com/widgets/seewidgets?ids=13564&r=c

Again, I apologize for having to leave a comment, pl. note it is not my intent to spam you.

Thx-Alisha
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Roberthussy said...

Well, it just figures. The one time — the one and only time in my ever-hopeful-but-never-successful cheesecake-attempting career — that I manage to bake a cheesecake that doesn’t crack, I can’t show it off. I can’t carry it triumphantly to the table to admiring “ooh”s and “aah”s and “look, no Grand Canyon in that cake”s and “she’s such a cheesecake star”s. Nope, I’m obligated to transmogrify this one beyond all recognition. Not only that, but I didn’t even have the brains to take a photo of it in its pristine, glorious smoothness.



SEOServices

Ginny said...

These look delicious! I also wanted to say that the Kika clothes fit true to size, you're in as a "no-reply" blogger, so I couldn't reply to you. : ) I love all the pieces I got!

Anemone said...

Aha! I heard you say you like to photograph food. So this is where it goes. I'm totally adding you to my inoreader.