Friday, February 29, 2008

The Daring Bakers - Julia Child's French Bread


I enjoy baking bread and we do it pretty regularly at our house, so I felt up to my first challenge from the Daring Bakers.
I did read the recipe several times, as advised, and even made notes and diagrams to help with the shaping. I appreciated the extra tips graciously given by breadchick and found them helpful.
The shaping of the bread, though, was the biggest challenge. I would love to do this sometime with someone who has had experience making french bread.
Using a spray bottle during baking was a great tip. The bread was crackly-crisp. Everyone crowded around to squeeze the bread and listen to the sound (just like Ratatouille!) Inside was soft and chewey and delicious.
I could use a tip on getting a browner crust.
Try it for yourself! The recipe can be found at: http://breadchick.com/?p=336

15 comments:

Marye said...

It looks great! Well done.
blessings,
marye
http://bakingdelights.com

Mary said...

I think your bread looks delicious! I put a pan of water in the oven while mine baked, and my crust browned up. (I'm not sure if that's what did it though.) :)

L Vanel said...

It looks like your bread was a big hit and it looks absolutely scrumptious.

Dawn0fTime said...

Looks great! One thing that may help with the browning is raising the oven rack a little higher. You could also use an oven thermometer to verify that your oven's getting hot enough.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job baking your French Bread! Wonderful! I brushed mine with olive oil instead of water and was able to get a browner crust. Welcome to Daring Bakers!

Laura said...

looks great! my first loaf was a little pasty, but i left the others in a little longer and spritzed them with water and they browned up.

breadchick said...

I'd say those look pretty darn good to me! Dawn's tips are spot on for a browner crust.

Thanks for baking with Sara and I this month!

Shaheen said...

You want a browner crust, and I want a lighter cr ust! Grass is always greener on the other side.. lol ;)

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a lovely job on your loaves of bread. My first batch didn't brown very much, but my second batch did. I did everything the same, but couldn't figure out why...

Natalie @ Gluten A Go go

marias23 said...

Haha, just like Ratatouille indeed. Great sounding crust ;)

Lunch Buckets said...

It looks great, congratulations!

Jaime said...

great job on your 1st challenge! i think amber gave the tip of misting with olive oil instead of water to help the crust brown more...

Unknown said...

I was so exhausted by the time I pulled my batards from the oven, I missed the crackling part. I must make this again, I suppose! (And also, I must watch Ratatouille!)

T’s Treats said...

Your bread looks GReat!! Good Job!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent recipe. I really wish I had time in my busy schedule to bake bread however I don't.
To compensate, and get the fresh baked taste of bread, I buy my bread from Holy Food Imports since they import their products from Israel, so they have a unique taste.